Wednesday 18 March 2020

Barrow is my favourite place!

Well it has been a very long time since we posted on our blog as we moved to having a website www.womenscommunitymatters.org and social media became easier to post on.  Blogs were much more popular when posting to Facebook involved a few sentences/a link rather than the plethora of options we have now!

I felt the time was perhaps right for us to return to the blog world and share something about our week.  Life feels uncertain for us all and the start of the Corona virus outbreak saw thousands of posts about fighting over toilet rolls.  This week has been a whole different experience.  And I think that is because I live in Barrow.

Monday...one of our staff is off work at the moment and we urgently needed to get in her desk drawer.  In the middle of all the difficulties, "break it open" I said.  Rachael with a much more reasoned response said, "I've called Tom".  Would he come out to open a desk drawer?!  Very soon he arrived, opened the drawer with a smile and then also fixed a door that wouldn't stay shut, gave us some advice on a couple of other things, and went on his way.  Our new member of staff, Katy, said, "who was that lovely man?"  "Tom Burrow", I said...."from Burrow's on Dalton Road.  We like to stay local and always get excellent service."

Tuesday came and we realised we needed lots of stationary.  It is is the time of year when we restock lots of our stationary ready for the start of a new financial year, setting up new files and getting organised.  Things have been a bit busy and we were a bit late with our ordering...I thought we might have to wait for things.  Wednesday arrived and Phil arrived with his trolley and all our stationary.  He brought it from the car park, along the corridor, up in the lift, through 3 sets of doors along another corridor and stacked in under a table in the staff office.  He made a lot of trips and the 12 boxes of paper looked particularly heavy.  After his 5th trip I asked whether there was any chance of having the invoice quicker than usual to help with staffing here.  (I don't want much!!)  Seemingly he knew that was what I would ask and whipped it out of his shirt pocket.  More staying local and more excellent service from Heaths on Dalton Road. 

It is not just the very speedy service (which being a fast kind of person suits me perfectly) it is the friendly, happy to help Barrovian way of doing things that I love so much.

Wild garlic wraps tonight

It's hard to know how to respond to the changing world we currently find ourselves in.  I have lots of plans and actions plans, but it doesn't feel quite enough.  Yesterday I made cakes, tonight I made wild garlic flat breads and big little pancakes (so named by my children) and sharing them with others, things feel a bit better.

I think baking might be what I need to do.  What about you?
...and some 'big little pancakes' ready for breakfast

Tomorrow I want to tell you about how very lovely and wonderful our funders have been.  Not just a bit good....but very good.  I will tell you about it then and I might make bread!

We are going look at sharing some stories and bits and pieces on here...this was the practice!

For now I wish you all good night and lots of love from all at Women's Community Matters.

Love, Rebecca xx


No comments:

Post a Comment